Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Global warming" alarmists...in Alabama?!

Well, I'm sure glad my alma mater isn't involved...

An organization called "Focus the Nation" is organizing a "teach-in" at colleges and universities across the country. I remember seeing advertisements for this group during the PetroSun Independence Bowl, and I worried (since we were playing in the game, after all) that the Capstone might be a part of this nonsense--but I neglected to look up the group and find out. Today I found them--and, thankfully, I discovered that The University of Alabama is not participating.

To be frank, these people (Focus the Nation) are nutjobs. They are "global-warming" zealots who have declared that the debate on the subject is over, and that mankind is directly responsible for every fluctuation of the earth's temperature and climate. These are the folks who treat it like a religion--you're either a true believer or a "denier." Never mind the hundreds of respected scientific minds who disagree. (Well, I guess they're not respected by this crowd.)

Anyway, there are a couple of other state schools that are jumping on the bandwagon. First? None other than our very own land-grant agricultural university--that's right, Alabama Polytechnic Institute, affectionately known (or maybe not so much) as the Barn: Auburn University.

Now, I'll give credit where credit is due: Auburn's website for its involvement in this event does claim that its organizers are trying to create a discussion about "the perceived controversy" and "what scientists do and don't know." Of course, the "perceived controversy" thing could just be an indoctrination for those who think (correctly) that the question is not settled. "Oh, there's no controversy, that's just what Evil Corporate America wants you to think. The icebergs are melting! The icebergs are melting!" But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. And, you know, if there's any group in this state who could solve the planet's problems, it would have to be the farmers down in Lee County.

The other state schools involved are Alabama A&M and South Alabama. USA has a "core group of 5-6 volunteers who are working hard on this," according to Focus the Nation's site. Just five or six? That's good to know...maybe the folks down there are intelligent enough to see through the crap this group is spreading (although I have my doubts, since apparently they are considering Dennis Franchione for their head coaching position.)

At any rate, I'm relieved to see that my beloved Capstone will not be taking part in this idiocy. I'm sure there will be some hippies doing something unofficially, but at least the administration is not recognizing any of it. Roll Tide!

No comments: