Wednesday, September 28, 2011

UA's naive children protest HB 56

After lunch I happened across a group of students protesting Alabama HB 56 (the immigration law). It was about what I expected. I was amused by one sign which read "Down with this sort of thing!" (visible at the :04 mark of the video below). The others were the typical racism-based arguments, rooted in emotion rather than logic. I hope these kids grow up to use their brains rather than their bleeding hearts.


I got a couple of decent photos, too:
Very original.

This one says "Illegals create more jobs than Republicans."

Hmm...I don't remember the last time I heard about an illegal immigrant hiring a legal one to do a job. That would be the definition of an illegal creating a job. But don't try explaining that to this protester.

I sort of hoped that some of the real wackos like CODEPINK, A.N.S.W.E.R., etc. might show up, but I guess Tuscaloosa isn't big enough to have those folks who just show up at any protest with a sign for their (unrelated) cause.

WVUA was on location, and there was at least one other news camera on site, but I'm not sure who they were with. Hopefully they'll provide commentary from supporters of HB 56 as well.

At the end of the day, though, we got some good news: Judge Blackburn upheld most of the law today. I'll post more later about what was struck down.

No comments: